I did get together with my friend at Papalote yesterday; she treated me to lunch since it was also a goodbye lunch. I saw a fellow in there with an inscrutable band logo on the back of his hoodie. After I studied it for a few moments, I realized it said Rwake. All excited, I said, “Rwake?”, thus giving myself away. A more confident metalhead would have said, “Rwake!” The fellow plucked the earbuds out of his ears, studied the 64-year old lady in sensible shoes who had addressed him, and said, “You’ve heard Rwake?”
Well, yes, I have, as their 2025 album was among Decibel magazine’s top 40 albums of last year, and in fact, among the top five. It didn’t super grab me, but it wasn’t work to listen to it, either. The man in Papalote said it is one of his big regrets that he missed a certain show of theirs. Given their elevated position in the top-40 list, he may get another chance. As he left, he waved his hand and I realized too late that he must have been flashing devil’s horns. I’ll be ready next time!
"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" —Will Rogers
This blog is HIPAA compliant. Identifying details have been changed.
Thursday, September 03, 2026
Rwake!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment