Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Reunion

I was paged to visit a patient who had been placed on comfort care the night before. Her nurse said various interventions were being turned off. I found the patient lying in bed with no visitors present. The room was pleasant and sunny, with a colorful vase of flowers. I assumed the patient would be unable to speak and thought I would just sit quietly with her for a bit; maybe her family would turn up. But when I spoke quietly to her, she opened her eyes and looked right at me.

She said that she was Christian and would like a prayer for a peaceful passing and to see her husband again in heaven. I was surprised, impressed and moved; I felt I might cry after I left the room. People almost always want prayers for healing, including when they are right at death’s door. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone ask for prayers for a peaceful death, or any other kind of death. I did pray for that explicitly, and that she and her husband will be happy together in heaven for eternity, and I gave thanks for her life. Afterward she murmured, “That was nice.”

No comments: