Friday, February 06, 2009

Summer Experiences

I wrote this when I was ten, for school, with the title above.

This summer was probably the best in my life.

Before school let out, a Chicano came to our school to talk to us. He was Desi Ortez, and the one person who really listened was Laura S. She started picketing A&P. After a while, I joined her.

For most of the summer, I complained (just to Laura) and didn’t come to the pickets. I was lazy. Working for the boycott I met a lot of wonderful people. Like David Martinez. He called my mother and persuaded her to let me go to a boycott party.

His one passion was volleyball. I play absolutely rottenly. So at the first game, I missed a ball and everybody groaned, then somebody said “That’s all right, Linda.” One thing I did get good at was serving. Once I made 7 points in a row serving.

Another person was Alfonso, commonly called Poncho. He seemed to me to be a compact person. One of his roommates was Ruben, who at first seemed to be all right, but turned out to be prejudeced (?). He hated whites, and lectured Laura (about different things).

One especially good part of the summer was the Cesar [Chavez] rally. I loved it. Afterward at the rally, I met Cesar and talked to him. There were many other people, and I’ll never forget them.

Late in August we went to our cottage. We didn’t do much else except sail. I met one of my distant cousins.

My mom has a dream of sailing around the world. Maybe we will.

(End of piece. My teacher wrote “Very Nice!” on it.)

I remember picketing outside A&P, around and around in a circle. One day I thought it would be clever to poke plastic bags stacked up outside the store with a small sharp metal pointy thing; the bags contained grass seed or dirt or something. The manager came out to ask me to stop, which of course I did. It was embarrassing.

I was a young activist. A few years prior, I helped dig a bomb crater to protest the Vietnam war and appeared in a photo in the Ann Arbor News.

Laura S., at 11, was very voluptuous for her age, and was having sex with some of those grown men. About that time, and very much having to do with Laura S.’s precocious sex life, I adopted a protective manner of dressing, in overalls, work boots, ancient sweatshirts, and a leather editor’s visor that I loved.

I myself had a crush on David Martinez, but he always behaved like a perfect gentleman. No harm came to me that summer, if you omit the fact that it was with Laura that I started smoking marijuana. She had three older brothers, Todd, Rick and Kim, who had taken over the family’s attic. I remember being up there smoking pot, which gave me a buttery feeling in my throat.

Not long ago, my mother sent me Todd’s obituary. He was closest in age to me and Laura. I don’t know what he died of.

"Sail" and "cottage" shouldn't make you think we were rich; they should make you think of a small Styrofoam craft eight or ten feet long, and a little place on Little Traverse Bay in northern Michigan that was formerly a garage. It had one main room where my parents' beds were, along with the dining table and big green chair, plus a small kitchen, bedroom for the kids, and bathroom.

You could walk to the water in one minute, through a tangle of poison ivy. The beach was all smooth rocks, no sand. Now and then one might wet a stone and thus discover it to be a Petoskey stone, with its distinctive round markings, very beautiful when polished. I liked to sit on a large inflated rubber innertube in the water.

All those people I was sure I would never forget, I can't remember any of them.

3 comments:

GirlGriot said...

Aren't you funny that your last line was exactly the one that struck me when I read your essay.

I find that I'm completely traumatized to know that Laura was having sex at 11. Yes, I am that naive and prudish. Did the men know she was 11? Not that her being 15 or 16 would necessarily have been any better. How old were those men? Oh, never mind. Additional info isn't going to make me feel better about it. I'd have started dressing more protectively, too.

I love the way you wrote this essay, the odd little choices you made -- "His one passion was volleyball." "He seemed to be a compact person."

I shudder to think of what I'd see if I went through my mom's papers and looked at my essays from 7th grade!

Bugwalk said...

Those men seemed like adults to us, but they were probably 20 or 25ish. (Well, I guess that's technically adult.) I doubt they knew Laura was 11. When she was 11, she looked like she was 15 or 16. (However, I was tagging along, and I think I looked more or less my age. They had to know she was underage. She was flattered by the attention, but of course it was still wrong.) I'll take this opportunity to say that our little boat was probably not literally Styrofoam, but something along those lines. Oh! Also, after decades of it being understood in my family that our teensy cottage was formerly a garage, it turns out it wasn't. Apparently, it was a guest house.

Bugwalk said...

Sorry for answering the questions you said not to answer, by the way. As soon as I saw the questions, I was formulating the answers in my mind, and then there was no stopping me.