Sunday, June 22, 2008

All Gino, All the Time

Did I mention that Gino was the first white person to appear on Soul Train?

Or that I’M GOING TO VEGAS TO MEET GINO?! (If I can get the right kind of ticket.) I called Tom to invite him to come with me, and he said he watched that video and it was the stupidest thing he ever saw and not only was he not going to see Gino, he was in favor of posting the militia at the state border to make sure Gino never enters California. I had to sweeten the deal by proposing a side trip to the Hoover Dam. YEAH! GOING TO VEGAS TO SEE GINO!

2 comments:

Lisa Morin Carcia said...

It took me a few days for the full horror of the implications of this post to sink in. If Gino was out there, doing his Gino thing, in the early '80s, then it follows that by this time, he's more than twenty years older. Now I'm trying to picture the performer I saw in the YouTube video you sent me of "One Night With You," still doing his Gino thing but aged by over twenty years. Shudder. Thanks for the nightmares, Linda. But have a good time in Vegas your own self, of course. (It sounds like you might need to get Tom drunk to help him get through the experience, though. I know it would help me.)

Bugwalk said...

Well, now, if Gino at 100 wanted to swivel his hips and fling back his mane, I would say, "You go, Gino!" However, I think his current thing is actually much more subdued, and I think he has even gotten into different kinds of music. Actually, for that reason, I'm having second thoughts about Las Vegas, because I actually would mainly want to see him do exactly what he does in that video, but I don't think he does that anymore, and I know his coiffure is more restrained, as well.