Monday, April 28, 2008

The Worst Kind of Suffering: Mine

This past Saturday, I sewed a pair of pants and hemmed pieces of cloth to cover two doors that have windows in them. My pants are normally very baggy and where’s-the-flood short; recently I made a new pattern, with the goal that the pants would be longer and narrower, but a bit fuller at the bottom, so I can more easily roll them up to my knees for cycling.

This first pair of pants using the new pattern certainly is longer, but making the bottom opening larger made the legs much baggier than before; I didn’t realize those two goals were contradictory. The legs of my new (green) pants look like two giant stovepipes reaching down to the floor.

I tried them on for Tom and he said, “We could probably both fit in there.”

“Can I leave the house in them?”

“Sure,” he said without hesitation, which meant, “If you can leave the house in your regular pants, you can certainly leave the house in those. Why ever not?”

Saturday evening, we saw Crank, which wasn’t very good, despite starring Jason Statham. It was full of cartoonish, overblown violence.

I had reported chest pains here not long ago. Tom said it was probably indigestion, and as soon as he said that, it went away. He was probably right.

Tom is like the oracle, the person I consult when I have exhausted all other avenues and want a simple, brief and correct answer from someone who is incapable of entertaining a suspicious or combative thought; i.e., someone who is the exact opposite of myself.

“Why is this guy making these horrible eating noises?”

“He probably has no idea he’s doing it.”

“How can he think that when I told him I can hear it?” Which you bet I did.

“He’s probably been doing it for decades and thinks people in other cubes can’t hear him.”

“What will I do?”

“Move to another cube.”

“I might not be able to.”

“Maybe get an iPod.”

He turned out to be right, of course.

When I got to work this morning, I found out I’d received permission to move back to my old cube. Here I must make a shameful confession: I was so angry at my loud eating coworker last week that by Friday I wasn’t speaking to him, though I’m not sure he even knew, since he didn’t have occasion to address me directly that day.

I tried to convince myself that it felt fine and that I could certainly maintain this resentment for the rest of my life. I’m sorry to say it was my actual intention never to speak to him again, even if I did end up being able to move to another cube.

Sunday night, Eugene was talking about how to deal with this kind of thing: to note objectively what is happening and observe our own reactions, instead of seeing the other person as the cause of misery, but he also mentioned remembering that other people are suffering, too, and that everyone is always doing the best he can.

I decided that if I got permission to move, that would be great, but if I didn’t, I was going to redouble my effort to be present with my own irritation, and to remember that my coworker is doing his best, and that he is suffering, too, though not necessarily from the exact same thing that’s making me suffer—his eating noises probably don’t bother him a bit—and of course, my suffering is considerably worse because it’s mine.

So when my coworker came in this morning, I made a point of calling out a hearty “good morning,” and he responded in like manner.

When I saw the email saying it was OK to move, I lickety-split piled a load of stuff onto my chair and rolled off with it. The coworker asked in amazement, “Where are you going?”

I told him that the singing, whistling, loud earphones and eating sounds were too much for me; that I like him, but that it’s hard to sit near him. He said, “Oh, maybe when I was eating an apple?”

It was considerably more than that, but I didn’t elaborate. He mentioned that he is having some problem with his teeth, and also said that he had been going over to the lunchroom to have some of his snacks, bless his little heart, and then I saw how incredibly wrong I was to think he’d been doing anything on purpose to get my goat.

But, at the same time, I’m really glad I told him what I didn’t like, because if I hadn’t done that, I wouldn’t have found out that I was laboring under a giant misapprehension. It also felt great to be friends again—nurturing a resentment for another couple of days would have been miserable, let alone forever.

The lifelong resentment: such a beautiful idea, but so hard to execute.

At the end of a lovely day back in my good old ex-cube, I stopped by to say goodnight to the coworker and he said something about the eating, and I said I was positive he hadn’t meant any harm, and he said that, actually, it wasn’t him doing those bad things at all, and we agreed it had been his evil twin.

5 comments:

Lisa Morin Carcia said...

I'm so glad your Loud Eating Guy problem has resolved itself, even though it does pre-empt the comment I was going to make, which was to tell you that I have three words for you: white noise CD (or is that two words and an acronym?).

Before our whole office floor moved to the next floor up and shuffled our cubes around, the guy on the other side of my cube wall had the kind of voice that, while pleasant, is the aural equivalent of a gamma ray - it goes through darn near everything.

I ordered a set of three CDs: White Noise, Pink Noise (like white noise but dirtier, with additional frequencies), and Electric Fan. Pink Noise is the best thing ever for masking voices, while Electric Fan conveys a soothing, I-am-one-with-the-universe, expansive mood, if you go in for that sort of thing.

I loaded those suckers onto my hard drive (not anyplace where they'll be automatically backed up so there's no network storage issue), put them in my standard MS media player library, and whenever my neighbor got on the phone, on went my headphones. Worked great. But I guess you don't need all this wisdom anymore...

Lisa Morin Carcia said...

Postscript to my prior comment: I also put the white/pink/fan noise CDs on my iPod so that if I'm trying to read or write in a cafe and need to mask the loud talkers who just sat down at the next table, I'm covered.

Bugwalk said...

I will always need your wisdom, King. But wait! Were you implying that I'm not one with the universe, when anyone can easily see that I am, based on my zenlike tranquility in the face of all manner of circumstances? (OK, maybe I'd better get that Electric Fan thing.) Not to sound like a whiner, even though I am a whiner, but I had rejected the idea of headphones because they make my ears hurt after about 30 minutes or so, but that might actually work fine if there are discrete periods of annoying noise. Thanks, Lisa!

J said...

I hate hate hate having to listen to life in a cube farm. Sigh. I used to put a quiet radio on, which helped with most of it.

Didn't help with the phone conversations, though. Like my neighbor who would get calls every month, from his wife...crying because she had gotten her period, and they were trying SO HARD to have a baby. Those were hard, but usually I would discreetly leave to use the bathroom or something. That sad story has a happy ending, as they now have two beautiful children, and I now work from home and so no longer have to listen to other people's conversations and chewing and nose blowing etc. :)

GirlGriot said...

Congratulations, Linda! Sorry I'm so late on this comment, but I'm so glad to read this post. Not 'just' because you've been given the (perfectly reasonable) permission to move back to your old cube, but because you were upfront with your noisy neighbor, because you were upfront with him in a way that made it possible for him to respond without being hurt, angry or defensive and making it possible for the two of you to continue talking and working together!

I think lisajean's suggestion of the white noise on your ipod is a really good one. I may put that into play for myself (I get a lot noise through the paper thin wall between my office and the library/classroom/meeting room next door).