Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Passive-Aggressivewear

I purchased the Emily Post book (along with a couple more Chris Cornell CDs) rather than getting it from the library because the only thing greater than my love for the environment (as would have been manifested by sharing the book instead of buying my own new one) is my dread of cooties.

Thus I use a brand-new paper towel to wipe off the counter in the kitchen at work instead of a sponge, though I use my own dish towel for my cups and silverware.

The Emily Post book came out long ago and the edition at the library could be decades old and crusted with boogers and have other people’s hairs between every couple of pages. I feel faint thinking of it.

Tom and I saw The Bourne Ultimatum two Saturday nights ago. It was absolutely excellent, even better than Live Free or Die Hard. It was extremely fast-paced. At first I wasn’t sure I was going to understand the whole plot and wondered if getting it would require having seen the prior two movies, but everything fell neatly and satisfyingly into place by the end. The fight scenes were tremendous.

The Sunday of that weekend, I took the bus to Novato to see Carol Joy. We had lunch at a Puerto Rican place in San Rafael that has “Sol” in the name and has two locations, one of which you can sit down in and which is painted a very bright green. The proprietor put in a glass-fronted display case outside the front door a letter they received complaining about the color.

The writer let it be known that Marinites prefer everything to be painted in muted earth tones, if I understood it correctly, and warned that he or she would not be returning, though the food was good, until the building was painted some other color.

The place was full, and when we left, there was a line out the door.

We went then to see No End in Sight, the documentary about the Iraq war. It was very well done, but, if you read Newsweek every week, you won’t learn anything new.

We had refreshments at a café across from the theater, and then I took the bus home. I was seated by another movie buff and we had a rousing conversation all the way back to San Francisco.

I received a request from my boss lately to change my settings in Microsoft Outlook so she can see not only that a segment of time is busy but what exactly I’m doing; we all received this request. I was taken aback.

Based on my informal research since then, it appears everyone puts personal reminders into their work calendar, and while if she called me and asked how I was, I might feel perfectly fine about saying, “You know, I have this dreadful rash—it’s itching like crazy; I can barely sit down,” whereas having her peruse my calendar anytime she feels like it and see “Put ointment on butt” just seems different.

(Ah, I love this blog. It makes me laugh all the time.)

I have just started Patrick Ryan’s novel Send Me.

Late last Friday afternoon, Tom and I went to see The Invasion, and then we split a burrito at Pancho Villa. He had asked me to help with a bicycle mechanic task that required three hands, so we did that when we got home. While I was in his kitchen, I asked if I could look in his freezer—you know, one likes to know what’s going on in one’s friends’ freezers—and noticed that he had some individual patties of meat wrapped just the way I wrap them when in the very rare meat-cooking phase (sorry, Mily; don’t hate me).

For a moment I thought perhaps this was the universal way of wrapping a meat patty, but then thought maybe these were items I had passed on to him, as I often give Tom food I know I won’t be eating.

He confirmed that I had given him these, and added, “When Thelonious died.” Sure enough, each one had a “B,” “T,” or “C” on it, depending on whether it contained beef, turkey or chicken, none of which Thelonious would eat right before she died nearly eleven months ago. I certainly never thought I’d see these items of last resort again.

On Saturday I figured out how to print a recipe on a 3 x 5” note card, two-sided. This is what my father does with his recipes, and I’m starting to think doing this and putting the cards in a little box in alphabetical order might be better than having recipes on a million different pieces of paper of various sizes, stuffed in no particular order into various file folders, so that I have to see nearly every recipe I have when looking for the one I need.

I’ve started washing all my clothes in cold water, but I still group items into the three colors: garish, somber and passive-aggressive.

No comments: